Net income remains positive amidst a challenging environment and after a decrease in operating income due to technology and infrastructure investments.
NAPERVILLE, ILLINOIS – Track Group, Inc. (OTCQX: TRCK), a global leader in offender tracking and monitoring services, today announced financial results for its second quarter ended March 31, 2022 (“Q2 FY22”). In Q2 FY22, the Company posted (i) total revenue of $9.5 million, a reduction of approximately 4% over total revenue for the second quarter ended March 31, 2022 (“Q2 FY21”) of $9.9 million; (ii) operating income of $7,371 compared to Q2 FY21 operating income of $1.7M; and (iv) net income attributable to common shareholders of $0.5M in Q2 FY22 compared to net income of $2.2 million in Q2 FY21.
“Remaining supply chain constraints brought on by the pandemic, coupled with investments in new technology and telecommunications infrastructure, are reflected in our financial results for the second quarter ended March 31, 2022. Notwithstanding, we performed well despite the circumstances and remain resilient by employing adaptive strategies. Our team successfully managed a nationwide device upgrade, developed new products, and supported new contracts while remaining squarely focused on the agencies reintegrating our end users back into society. As we reinvest in our technology and prepare for a return to growth in FY23, we see encouraging progress on several fronts, from our customer experience, product roadmap, and smart integrations that ultimately create value for our customers.” said Derek Cassell, Track Group’s CEO.
- Total revenue of $9.5 million in Q2 FY22 was down 4% compared to Q2 FY21 total revenue of $9.9 million. Revenue for the 6 months ended March 31, 2022 (“6M FY22”) of $19.1 million was also down approximately 1% compared to revenue of $19.3 million for the 6 months ended March 31, 2021 (“6M FY21”) as declines in North America monitoring revenue was offset by increases in Latin America and product sales.
- Gross profit in Q2 FY22 was $4.5 million compared to Q2 FY21 gross profit of $5.4 million. Gross profit for the 6M FY22 was $9.3 million compared to gross profit of $10.6 million for 6M FY21, principally due to the nominal decline in revenue, higher depreciation and amortization, and additional expenses incurred in the preparation of implementing a new contract for an existing international customer.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the Q2 FY22 was $1.7 million, compared to $2.9 million for Q2 FY21. Adjusted EBITDA for 6M FY22 was $3.9 million compared to the Adjusted EBITDA for 6M FY21 of $5.5 million. As a percentage of revenue, adjusted EBITDA continues to remain strong, staying above 20%, at 20.6%, for the 6M FY22 compared to 28.7% for the 6M FY21.
- As of March 31, 2022, the cash balance was down to $7.1 million compared to $8.4 million on September 30, 2021, but up 7% compared to the $6.7 million cash balance one year ago on March 31, 2021. The reduction in cash from September 20, 2021, reflects continued significant capital investments made by the Company of approximately $2.4 million in the 6M FY22 to build additional monitoring devices, update software, and develop next-generation tracking technology.
- Total operating expense for Q2 FY22 of $4.5 million was up 20% versus Q2 FY21’s total operating expense of $3.8 million, principally due to the factors listed above. When combined with the reduction in gross profit, the increase in quarterly operating expense led to operating income in Q2 FY22 of $7,371 compared to operating income of $1.7 million for Q2 FY21, representing a material decline. Similarly, for 6M FY22, operating income was $0.6 million compared to operating income of $3.1 million for the 6M FY21 due to the reduction in gross profit and the increase in operating expense.